The technology allows members of other universities to connect to their own university at the HSG via VPN, i.e. giving them virtual access to their own university network. In these cases, the terms and conditions of use as well as restrictions of the respective university apply.
Members of the University of St.Gallen can
- connect from home or other location via the Internet
- connect via the University of St.Gallen’s "PublicNet“ public network
to the University directly, allowing them to work as though they were directly on-site at the HSG.
The HSGnet User Regulations apply from the moment the VPN connection has been established the University of St.Gallen.
Certain restrictions apply:
- Local network resources such as network drives and printers are not accessible
- E-mails to addresses other than “unisg.ch” can only be sent via the “mail.unisg.ch” server
- Access from the Internet to the computer is not possible (FTP server, file sharing, etc. inactive)
- No proxy servers can be used
The HSG has set up the following Internet services for VPN:
- Web using web browsers (incl. SSL)
- Mail (including SSL)
- File transfer (ftp)
- UseNet (newsgroups)
- Notes and Domino
- Library access